Sure provides you with a broadband service over copper lines that are owned by Sure in Guernsey. Sure is responsible for making sure the line is fit for purpose from the exchange to your property.
The speed you can achieve depends on the length of these lines.
Other factors that can affect speed are the age and power of your router/computer, wiring in the home and amount of devices trying to connect at the same time.
For help, support and advice please read click here before logging a fault.
What can I do to improve my Internet?
- Check for any software updates for operating systems and apps.
- Make sure your antivirus software is up to date, if not, it can slow things down
- Clear your device’s cookies and cache - Troubleshooting checklist
- Reset your browser - Troubleshooting checklist
- Close any programs/devices you’re not using as they may be slowing it down
- Turn off any older devices – they can reduce your WiFi speed and this might help
What else can I do to improve my WiFi signal?
- It never hurts to try turning the router off and on again after 60 seconds.
- Try to keep your router as free from obstructions as possible. i.e not behind the TV.
- We can try helping by adjusting your router’s wireless channel, like fine tuning a radio station, if the router was supplied by Sure.
- You could try using a wireless booster. This will boost the wireless signal within your property and are available online and in all good computer shops.
- You can also try a higher spec router i.e 5Ghz / Dual band. We now supply/sell these as standard but you can buy them from reputable computer shops too.
Other factors inside your house which can affect your speed include:
- The distance, type and quality of the connection between your router and your devices (particularly true for WiFi connections)
- Quality of your phone line inside your house (old wiring and extension cables for example)
- Other devices competing for bandwidth such as cordless phones, baby monitors, oil Master etc.
- The age of your equipment, router or filters.
- Obstructions to the router if it’s behind a TV, near a fish tank, on the carpet.